BEGC-131 INDIVIDUAL AND SOCIETY Solved Assignment 2022-2023
INDIVIDUAL AND SOCIETY (BEGC 131)
Course Code: BEGC 131
Max. Marks: 100
Answer all questions.
|Title Name||BEGC-131 English Solved Assignment 2022-2023|
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Semester||2022-2023 Course: BA(English)|
|Session||July 2022 and January 2023 Sessions|
|Product||Assignment of BAG(English) 2022-2023 (IGNOU)|
|Submission Date||For June Examination 30th April
For December Examination 31stOctober
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions in your own words.
i Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-house for the night, but was too
drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes. With the ring of the light from his lantern
dancing from side to side, he lurched across the yard, and made his way up to bed,
where Mrs. Jones was already snoring.
ii. As soon as the light in the bedroom went out, there was a stirring and a fluttering all
through the farm buildings. Word had gone round during the day that old Major, the
prize Middle White boar, had had a strange dream on the previous night and wished to
communicate it to the other animals. it had been agreed that they should all meet in the
big barn as soon as Mr. Jones was safely out of the way. Old Major was so highly
regarded on the farm that everyone was quite ready to lose an hour’s sleep in order to
hear what he had to say.
iii. All the animals were now present except Moses, the tame raven, who slept on a perch
behind the back door. When Major saw that they had all made themselves comfortable
and were waiting attentively, he cleared his throat and began:
‘Comrades, you have heard already about the strange dream that I had last night. But I
will come to the dream later. I have something else to say first. I do not think,
comrades that I shall be with you for many months longer, and before I die, I feel it
may duty to pass on to you such wisdom as I have acquired. I have had a long life, I
have had much time for thought as I lay alone in my stall, and I think I may say that I
understand the nature of life on this earth as well as any animal now living. It is about
this that I wish to speak to you.’
iv. ‘Now, comrades, what is the nature of this life of ours? Let us face it; our lives are
miserable, laborious, and short. We are born, we are given just so much food as will
keep the breath in our bodies, and hose of us who are capable of it are forced to work to
the last atom of our strength; and the very instant that our usefulness has come to an
end we are slaughtered with hideous cruelty.’( George Orwell’s Animal Farm)
1. Why was the ring of light from Mr. Jones’s lantern dancing from side to side?
2. Where had the animals agreed to meet?
3. Why had they assembled there?
4. What does old Major want to share with the animals?
5. Pick out the three words Major uses to describe the lives of the animals. Why
does he use these words?
5 x 2=10
2. Make sentences of your own with the following words:
1. Rewrite the following sentences as directed:
1) A dozen people _________ (Fill in with the correct form of ‘be’) injured in
2) __________ you busy now? (Fill in with the correct form of ‘be’)
3) I ________ going to the cinema to-night. (Fill in with the correct form of ‘be’)
4) There _________ many people in India even now who cannot read and write. (Fill
in with the correct form of ‘be’)
5) I ____________ surprised to meet Raj yesterday evening. (Fill in with the correct
form of ‘be’)
6) I think this __________ the most interesting of Chetan Bhagat’s novels. (Fill in
with the correct form of ‘be’)
7) ______ you know how to make a pasta in white sauce? (Fill in the blank with do
8) I ________ not think I can come with you. (Fill in the blank with do or does)
9) _________ you father work at the bank? (Fill in the blank with do or does)
10) ___________ he come to office by the metro train? (Fill in the blank with do or
11) How _____ we get there? (Fill in the blanks with have or has)
12) __________ they got a school in their village? (Fill in the blanks with have or has)
13) Now you __________ learnt the secret of happiness. (Fill in the blanks with have
14) _______ he arrived already? (Fill in the blanks with have or has)
15) I sometimes _________ my breakfast at a restaurant. (Fill in the blanks with have
2. Match Column A with words similar in meaning in Column B.
1. Preserved deteriorated
2. Prohibited enjoy
3. Destroyed looked after
4. Pleasure forbidden
5. Impoverished job
6. Clean depleted
7. Employment pure
8. Environment lively
9. Diligent neighbourhood
10 Active studious
10 x1 =10
1. Write a speech of your own on Challenges and Opportunities in the
National Education Policy (NEP) and its implementation.
2. You are resident of a locality in Delhi. Write a report on various steps taken by
your residential locality to improve environment in your neighbourhood.
3. Your friend is visiting Delhi and has written to you to suggest a good place to stay
for a week. Write a letter to her suggesting a good hotel for accommodation.. 15
BEGC-131, BEGC 131, BEGC131