MEG-04 Solved Assignment 2018-19 (Aspects of Language). IGNOU MA Assignment Solution Valid For July 2018 and January 2019 Sessions
MEG – 04 : ASPECTS OF LANGUAGE
ASSIGNMENT 2018 – 2019
Based on Blocks (1 – 9)
- Write short notes on the following:
i Sociolinguistics and sociology of language
ii Language as an act of identity
iii The notion of a Speech Community
iv Types of Negation and its interaction with Scope
- Why is language planning essential in any country? What are the factors which influence language planning?
- How is inflectional morphology different from derivational morphology? Discuss, give examples.
- What is the difference between the Generativists and Structuralist? In what way have the Generative insights into language contributed to linguistic theory?
- Read the following poem and answer the questions that follow:
My Father’s Hands
My father’s hands
are beautiful, they can
fix this moth’s wing and make machines
they can mend the fuse when the
goes dark can make light swim and walls
jump in around me again
I can see my mother’s face again.
You must take good care of them with
your finest creams
never let the nails break or
skin go dry, only those wise fingers
know how to fix the thing
that makes my doll cry and they make
small animals out of clay.
Never let blades or anything sharp
and hurtful near them
don’t let bees or nettles
sting them don’t let fire or burning oil
My father’s hands are beautiful, take good care of them.
By Jeni Cowzyn
- Pick out the verbs that describe what the father’s hand do
- What do you usually fix? What is fixed in line 3? What does this tell us about the father?
- What usually ‘goes dark’ (line 6)? What do you think the speaker means when she says ‘the world goes dark’? How can the father ‘mend the fuse’?
- ‘can make light swim and walls jump in around me again’ (lines 7-8). What do you think this sentence means? What does it tell us about the father in the poem?
- What does the speaker mean when she says ‘I can see my mother’s face again’ (line 9)? What do you think has happened to the mother?
- Many capital letters and full stops have not been used. What is the effect of leaving them out the poem?
- What kind of a person is the father in the poem? Write a short passage on him. How does his daughter feel about him?