Indira Gandhi National Open University
Core Course in M.A. Sociology
MSO-001: Sociological Theories and Concepts
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Programme Code: MSO
Course Code: MSO-001
Assignment Code: MSO-001/AST/TMA/2018-19
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer five questions by selecting at least two questions from each Section. Your answer should be in about 500 words each.
- Explain the relationship between theory and paradigm.
- What is neo-functionalism? Examine its merits and demerits.
- Discuss the contribution of Levi-Strauss and Edmund Leach to the understanding of social structure.
- Explain the concept of liberty in the writings of Isaiah Berlin.
- Discuss how members of a society construct reality.
- What is ethnicity? Explain its elements in boundary maintenance between ethnic groups?
- Compare and contrast post-structuralism and post-modernism.
- Discuss the concept of sovereignty.
- What do you understand by ‘social inequality’? Discuss in the light of the debate amongst Kinsley Davis, Wilbert Moore and Tumin on the concept.
- Discuss Foucault’s approach of ‘archaeology of knowledge’ towards understanding of society.