|Course Code :||MEG-04|
|Course Title :||Aspects of Language|
|Program :||MA English|
|Maximum Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2019 and January 2020 (2019-20)|
|Last Date of Submission :||31st March, 2020 (for July 2019 session)
30th September, 2020 (for January 2020 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
MEG-04 Aspects of Language
Assignment July 2019 and January 2020
Note: Attempt all questions. All questions carry equal marks.
Max. Marks: 100
- Discuss the relationship between language and our perception of reality in terms of linguistic relativity and linguistic determinism.
- Write short notes on any four of the following, giving examples as far as possible:
i) Changes in the meaning of words from Old to Modern English.
ii) Langue and Parole
iii) Problems in defining a speech community
iv) Code mixing and code switching
v) Status versus Corpus planning
vi) Monism and Dualism
- What is Theta theory? Which parts of grammar does it affect? Discuss with examples of your own.
- Discuss in detail four different approaches of looking at language and society (Unit 1, Block 6). Highlight the differences between all these approaches.
- Historically discuss the rise of American English and its chief characteristics.