|Course Code :||CHE-09|
|Course Title :||Biochemistry|
|Medium :||English Medium|
|Session :||July 2019 and January 2020 (2019-20)|
|Max Marks :||100|
|Submission Period :||From 1st January, 2020 to 31st December, 2020|
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
Tutor Marked Assignment
An Elective Course in Chemistry and Life Sciences
Course Code: CHE-09
Assignment Code: CHE-09/TMA/2020
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer all the questions given below.
1. a) How are peroxisomes and lysosomes generated in a cell? What are their functions?
b) Describe different modes through which cell membrane controls the transport of ingoing and outgoing molecules?
2. a) What are anomers? Explain the existence of anomers in sugars taking D-glucose as an illustrative case.
b) Describe the various ways of classifying carbohydrates. Give examples for each class.
3. a) What prostaglandins and leucotrienes? Give their functions.
b) Elaborate on the role of t-RNA in protein biosynthesis.
4 a) Describe the ways of classifying amino acids and give example of each class.
b) What are the structural and functional differences between myoglobin and haemoglobin?
5. a) What is Michaelis-Menton equation? Explain the significance of Vmax and Km is this equation.
b) What is the difference between macrominerals and trace elements? Write the main functions of any two trace elements.
6. a) How is the standard free energy for chemical reactions different from the standard free energy for biochemical reactions? With the help of an example explain the significance of coupling in biological reactions.
b) Standard free energy change alone cannot predict the direction of a biochemical reaction. Comment.
7. a) Explain the mechanism of action of the enzyme aconitase on citrate in TCA cycle.
b) Compare the energetics of metabolic oxidation of glucose and a fatty acid.
8. a) Explain in brief the regulation of glycogen metabolism.
b) How many moles of ATP and NADPH are required to convert 6 moles of CO2 to fructose-6-phosphate? Give all the reactions involved.
9. a) Describe the process of RNA transcription.
b) What is the role of ribosomal P-site and A-site in protein biosynthesis? How does streptomycin perform its antibiotic function?
10. a) What is genetic engineering? Describe any one of its applications.
b) Write the structural features of an antibody molecule. Discuss any one mechanism by which antibodies interact with antigens.
There are no reviews yet.