Indira Gandhi National Open University
Core Course in M.A. Sociology
MSO-004: Sociology in India
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Programme Code: MSO
Course Code: MSO-004
Assignment Code: MSO-004/AST/TMA/2018-19
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer questions worth of 100 marks. All questions carry equal marks.
- Describe the social background of emergence of Sociology in India.
- Discuss the role and significance of field-work method in conducting village studies in India during the 1950’s and 1960’s.
- Explain how the Census Operation influenced caste in India with suitable examples.
- Discuss the origin of caste system in India from a brahminical perspective.
- Is the joint family in India disintegrating? Discuss critically.
- What do you understand by agrarian class structure in India? Discuss with suitable examples.
- Describe the socio-historical development of working class in India.
- What is a tribe? Discuss the relationship between tribe and caste in India.
- Distinguish between old social movements and new social movements with suitable examples.
- Define the concept of middle class and discuss its major features in India.