|Course Code :||MSO-2|
|Course Title :||Research Methodologies and Methods|
|Medium :||English Medium|
|Program :||MA (Sociology)|
|Max Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2020 and January 2021 (2020-21)|
|Last Date of Submission :||31st March, 2021 (for July 2020 session)
30th September, 2021 (for January 2021 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
Indira Gandhi National Open University
Core Course in M.A. Sociology
MSO-002: Research Methodologies and Methods
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Programme Code: MSO
Course Code: MSO-002
Assignment Code: MSO-002/AST/TMA/2020-21
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer questions from both the sections.
Answer any two of the following questions
1. ‘Science with its central principles of objectivity, universalisation and causal explanation had a significant impact on social science’. Critically discuss.
2. What is participatory method of research? Explain
3. What is ethnography? Explain its significance in sociological research.
4. What is probability sampling? Explain its types.
5. Distinguish between:
(i) pure research and applied research
(ii) participant observation and non-participant observation
(iii) questionnaire and schedule
(iv) qualitative and quantitative methods of research
(v) correlation and regression
Write a research report on any one of the following topics in about 3000 words.
1. Facebook friends. 50
2. Reverse migration of labour. 50
3. Healthcare system in contemporary times. 50
You can write this report based either on review of literature, or data collected from the primary sources.
For review of literature you are to select either two books or four research articles published recently on the selected topic of your choice. Write a review article focusing on the location of the study, methodology followed and the main findings of these studies.
For the primary source you are to collect two case studies and write a report on the selected topic in a comparative framework. While writing the report spell out clearly the objectives and the problems of the study and
- problematise the issue within the existing/available literature,
- elaborate your observations, finding and conclusion coherently, and
- make proper referencing at the end.
Questions answered in the solution: From Section A – Q2 (participatory method of research), Q4 (probability sampling) and from Section B – Q3 (Healthcare system in contemporary times).