|Course Code :||MSO-2|
|Course Title :||Research Methodologies and Methods|
|Medium :||English Medium|
|Program :||MA (Sociology)|
|Max Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2019 and January 2020 (2019-20)|
|Last Date of Submission :||31st March, 2020 (for July 2019 session)
30th September, 2020 (for January 2020 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
Indira Gandhi National Open University
Core Course in M.A. Sociology
MSO-002: Research Methodologies and Methods
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Programme Code: MSO
Course Code: MSO-002
Assignment Code: MSO-002/AST/TMA/2019-20
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer five questions worth 100 marks from Sections 1 and 2. Attempt at least two questions from each Section.
Answer any two of the following questions
1. ‘The pioneers of the comparative method in sociology and social anthropology were all influenced to a greater or lesser extent by the theory of evolution.’ Discuss.
2. What is positivism? Discuss Giddens’s critique of positivism.
3. Critically examine the nature and scope of feminist method in social science research.
4. What is sampling? Explain the methods of probability sampling.
5. What is Hermeneutics? Explain with reference to the contribution of HansGeorg Gadamer.
Write a research report on any one of the following topics in about 3000 words.*
1. Education as a means of empowerment of women.
2. Relevance of caste in contemporary Indian society.
3. Impact of mobile phones on social relationships.
You can write this report based either on review of literature, or data collected from the primary sources.
For review of literature you are to select either two books or four research articles published recently on the selected topic of your choice. Write a review article focusing on the location of the study, methodology followed and the main findings of these studies.
For the primary source you are to collect two case studies and write a report on the selected topic in a comparative framework. While writing the report spell out clearly the objectives and the problems of the study and
- problematise the issue within the existing/available literature,
- elaborate your observations, finding and conclusion coherently, and
- make proper referencing at the end.
* Note: Submit the research report to your Study Centre for evaluation.
Questions answered in this solution: From section 1 – Q2, Q4, Q5 and from section 2 – Q1, Q3