Indira Gandhi National Open University
Core Course in M.A. Sociology
MSO-002: Research Methodologies and Methods
Tutor Marked Assignment (TMA)
Programme Code: MSO
Course Code: MSO-002
Assignment Code: MSO-002/AST/TMA/2018-19
Maximum Marks: 100
Answer questions from both the sections.
Answer any two of the following questions
- What is ‘phenomenology”? Discuss the contribution of Martin Heidegger to phenomenological studies.
- Critically examine the feminist approach to the understanding of social reality.
- What are the advantages of sampling over census? Explain the various types of probability sampling method.
- What is a ‘research design’? Explain the steps you would follow to prepare a research design.
- What is ‘participant observation?’ Discuss its relevance as a technique of field-based research.
Write a research report on any one of the following topics in about 3000 words.
- Vocational education as a means of empowerment of women.
- Use of social media by rural youth in India.
- Discuss the concept of sovereignty.Social construction of news.
You can write this report based either on review of literature, or data collected from the primary sources.
For review of literature you have to select either two books or four research articles published recently on the selected topic of your choice. Write a review article focusing on the location of the study, methodology followed and the main findings of these studies. For the primary source you have to collect two case studies and write a report on the selected topic in a comparative framework. While writing the report, spell out clearly the objectives and the problems of the study and
• problematise the issue within the existing/available literature,
• elaborate your observations, finding and conclusion coherently, and
• make proper referencing at the end.