|Course Code :||MEG-04|
|Course Title :||Aspects of Language|
|Program :||MA English|
|Maximum Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2021 and January 2022 (2021-22)|
|Last Date of Submission :||31st March, 2022 (for July 2021 session)
30th September, 2022 (for January 2022 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
ASPECTS OF LANGUAGE
Based on Blocks (1-9)
Course Code: MEG-04/ 2021-22
Max. Marks: 100
Answer all questions. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Write short notes on the following: (4 x 5=20)
i Langue and parole
ii Types of Negation and its interaction with Scope
iii Code mixing vs code switching
iv Generative grammar
2. Languages enrich and evolve through borrowings. Discuss the various borrowings in English language by giving examples.
3. How is inflectional morphology different from derivational morphology? Discuss by giving examples.
4. Discuss case, thematic roles and theta theory by citing relevant examples?
5. Fill in the blank spaces in the following sentences: (2 x10=20)
1. A consonant during the articulation of which the vocal cords vibrate is called a ________________ consonant.
2. A consonant during the articulation of which there is no velic opening or the oral cavity is closed then it is called a ____________________ consonant.
3. The difference between a plosive and an affricate is that during the articulation of
plosives the release of air is __________________ and during the articulation of affricates the release is __________________.
4. Allophones are __________________of the same __________________.
5. Vowels are more _________________ than consonants. There is little or no __________________in the production of vowels.
6. ________________ is a sound which is present in your mother tongue but not in English. (use IPA to indicate the sound)
7. __________ is a voiceless bilabial plosive and ___________ is a voiced alveolar lateral phoneme in English. (use IPA to indicate the phoneme)
8. A speech sound which patterns like a consonant but is phonetically a brief vowel such as /w/ in win is called a _____________.
9. Fricatives are produced by a ________________ in the vocal tract so as to ______________.
10. The _______________ vowels serve as points of reference for identifying real vowels in actual languages.
Keywords: MEG-04, MEG04, MEG 04, MEG4, MGE-4, MEG 4, IGNOU Solution Guide, Answer Key