|Course Code :||MEC-106|
|Course Title :||Public Economics|
|Program :||MA Economics / MEC|
|Max Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2021 and January 2022 (2021-22)|
|Last Date of Submission :||31st March, 2022 (for July 2021 session)
30th September, 2022 (for January 2022 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
TUTOR MARKED ASSIGNMENT
MEC-106: PUBLIC ECONOMICS
Course Code: MEC-106
Assignment Code: MEC-106/AST/2021-22
Total Marks: 100
Note: Answer all the questions. While questions in Section A carry 20 marks each (to be answered in about 500 words each) those in Section B carry 12 marks each (to be answered in about 300 words each). In the case of numerical questions word limits do not apply.
1) Show that the welfare foundations of economic policies in a competitive market is guided by Pareto Criterion.
2) Discuss the ‘spillover effects’ of ‘international policy coordination’ in the context of fiscal and monetary policies.
3) Distinguish between ‘merit goods’ and ‘demerit goods’. Explain briefly why consumption of merit goods are encouraged and those of demerit goods are discouraged.
4) Outline the issues involved in allocating resources for production in public sector.
5) Explain briefly how the size of public expenditure is determined under the Niskanen’s ‘budget maximisation approach’.
6) Contrast the nature of ‘fiscal federalism’ as it exists in India with those in some other countries.
7) Delineate the two applications of Engel curve.
Keywords: MEC-106, MEC106, MEC 106, IGNOU Solution Guide, Answer Key