|Course Code :||BPY-003|
|Course Title :||Ancient and Western Medieval Philosophy|
|Assignment Number :||BPY-003/TMA/2020-21|
|Maximum Marks :||100|
|Last date of Submission :||31 March, 2021 (for July 2020 Session)
30 September, 2021 (for January 2021 Session)
BPY 003: Ancient and Western Medieval Philosophy
i) Answer all five questions
ii) All questions carry equal marks
iii) Answer to question no. 1 and 2 should be in about 400 words each.
1. How did Augustine explain the relation between reason and faith? Discuss.
Explain philosophy with special reference to wisdom. Elaborate its scope and importance in detail.
2. Explain and interpret the notion of being in Parmenides.
Give a detailed account of main methods applied in Western Philosophy.
3. Answer any two of the following questions in about 200 words each:
a. Describe skepticism.
b. What is special about the aim and modus operandi of the Socratic method?
c. Explain the philosophy of Avicenna and Al-Ghazali.
d. Explain the theory of the ‘union of the opposites’ in the philosophy of Heraclitus.
4. Answer any four of the following in about 150 words each:
a) Describe Dun Scotus’ views of God’s existence.
b) “Virtue is knowledge”. Explain.
c) How does Empiricism differ from Rationalism?
d) How do you explain ‘Ockham’s Razor’?
e) Discuss Objectivism and Subjectivism.
f) Explain the Pythagorean concept of soul.
5. Write short notes on any five of the following in about 100 words each:
c) Concept of ‘Being’