|Course Code :||BEGLA-136|
|Course Title :||English at the Workplace|
|Medium :||English Medium|
|Program :||BAG / BCOMG / BSCG / BA (CBCS)|
|Maximum Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2021 and January 2022 (2021-22)|
|Last Date of Submission :||30th April, 2022 (for July 2021 session)
31st October, 2022 (for January 2022 session)
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
ENGLISH AT THE WORKPLACE
Course Code: BEGLA-136
Max. Marks: 100
Answer all questions
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions in your own words. 2×5 =10
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a dramatic loss of human life worldwide and presents an unprecedented challenge to public health, food systems and the world of work. The economic and social disruption caused by the pandemic is devastating: tens of millions of people are at risk of falling into extreme poverty, while the number of undernourished people, currently estimated at nearly 690 million, could increase by up to 132 million by the end of the year.
Millions of enterprises face the threat of closure. Nearly half of the world’s 3.3 billion global workforce are at risk of losing their livelihoods. Informal economy workers are particularly vulnerable because the majority lack social protection and access to quality health care.
Immediate and purposeful action to save lives and livelihoods should include extending universal health coverage and income support for those most affected. These include workers in the informal economy and in poorly protected and low-paid jobs, including youth, older workers, and migrants. Particular attention must be paid to the situation of women in low-paid jobs. Different forms of support should be given, including cash transfers, child allowances and healthy school meals, shelter and food relief, support for employment retention and recovery, and financial relief for businesses, including small and medium-sized enterprises. In designing and implementing such measures it is essential that governments work closely with employers and workers.
Now is the time for global solidarity and support, especially with the most vulnerable in our societies, particularly in the emerging and developing world. Only together can we overcome the intertwined social and economic impacts of the pandemic and prevent its escalation into a humanitarian and food security catastrophe, with the potential loss of already achieved development gains.
1. Why does the passage state that the economic and social disruption caused by the Covid 19 pandemic is devastating?
2. Why are ‘informal economy workers’ said to be particularly vulnerable?
3. According to this passage, who are the “most affected” by the pandemic?
4. What forms of support can be extended to those affected?
5. According to the passage, what can happen if there is no global solidarity and support in handling the social and economic impacts of the pandemic?
2. Use the following words in sentences of your own: 2 x 5 = 10
3. Rewrite the following sentences as directed: 1 x 5 = 5
1. They cut down many trees to construct the office. (change into passive voice).
2. The (type) _________ letters are ready for dispatch. (use the correct form of the word in brackets).
3. We’ve got a machine ___________ (who, whom, that) prints in colour. (use the correct word from those given in brackets).
4. We drew a short-list of candidates ______________ (Who, whom, which, whose, to whom) CVs were very good. (use the correct word from those given in brackets).
5. It is up to you ________ make the decision (fill in the blank with the correct preposition).
4. Write short notes of about 150 words each on the following topics: 5 x 5 = 25
1. Organising a portfolio.
2. Types of customers.
3. Characteristics of work ethics.
4. The three stages of a presentation.
5. The importance of cultural awareness in a multicultural workplace.
1. You are interested in applying for the position of Customer Service Manager in a company in your town /city. Write an application for this position, showing how you are suitable for the job. (15)
2. Prepare a short CV (Curriculum Vitae) clearly mentioning your career history, skills,
achievements and any other details. (15)
1. Write an outline of a presentation on the following topic: (10)
“Coping with ‘Climate Change’: issues and challenges.”
(Refer Unit 14.7 to write the answer)
2. You are planning to appear for an interview for the position of Research Assistant in a reputed institution. Write out ten questions you expect to be asked and your answers to these questions. (10)
Keywords: BEGLA-136, BEGLA136, BEGLA 136, BEGLA-136/TMA/2021-2022, BEGLA-136 Assignment Solution, BEGLA 136 Assignment Answers, IGNOU Assignment Help, Assignment Guide, BEGLA 136 ignou assignment, ignou solved assignment, BEGLA 136 solved assignment 2022,