|Course Code :||BEGE-141|
|Course Title :||Understanding Prose|
|Medium :||English Medium|
|Program :||BAG / BA (CBCS) / BA English Honours (BAEGH)|
|Maximum Marks :||100|
|Session :||July 2021 and January 2022 (2021-22)|
|Last Date of Submission :||For June 2022 Exams – 30th April 2022
For December 2022 Exams – 31st October 2022
|Solution Type :||Softcopy (PDF File)|
Assignment for July 2021 and January 2022 Sessions
(Based on Blocks 1-4)
Maximum Marks 100
Answer All Questions.
Q.I Write short notes on the following in about 200 words each: 4 x 5 = 20
(i) Expository Prose
(ii) Varieties of Prose
(iii) Differences between Biography and Autobiography
(iv) Diary writing as a literary form.
Q. II Answer the following questions in about 350 words each: 4 x 7.5 = 30
1. Explain the features of Strachey’s prose style as seen in Queen Victoria.
2. Aitkin’s travelogue is both informative and interesting, comment with examples from the text.
3. ‘Twelve Million Black Voices’ reveals the unrelenting and harsh attitude of Whites towards Blacks. Do you agree? Give reasons for your answer.
4. The story ‘Misery’ deals with human insensitivity to other people’s grief. Discuss
Q. III Answer the following questions in about 600 words each: 5 x 10 = 50
1. ‘On seeing England for the first Time’ reveals Kincaid’s indignation characteristic of a colonized person against her colonizer. Discuss.
2. How does ‘Shooting an Elephant in Burma’ reflect Orwell’s views on imperialism? Discuss in detail.
3. Letter writing as a form of prose is both informative and aesthetically appealing. Discuss with reference to Nehru’s “The Quest of Man”.
4. Margaret Laurence’s speech “My Final Hour” reveals her deep commitment to social causes. Do you agree? Give reasons for your answer.
5. Critically appreciate the prose style of Bertrand Russell as seen in his Autobiography
Keywords: BEGE-141, BEGE 141, BEGE141, BEGE-141 Assignment Solution, IGNOU Assignment Solution, IGNOU Solution Guide, IGNOU CBCS BA Assignment Solved