BEGE-104 Solved Assignment For IGNOU BA (BDP)
Course Name : English For Business Communication
Assignment Code : BDP/BEGE-104/TMA/2017-18
Medium : English
Session : 2017-18
Questions Solved In Assignment
- Read the passage carefully and answer the questions given below.
Time management has become one of the key issues of the second half of the twentieth century. Managers, grappling with work pressures and deadlines, have come to recognize that time is a precious commodity to be ‘saved’, ‘gained’, and not ‘wasted’ or ‘lost’. But if time is a commodity, how then can we best describe, measure and manage it?
To describe and manage it, imagine a line that goes back to the beginnings of creation and continues into the mists of the future. And on that line are a number of significant marks–these separate the past from the present from the future. And within each time zone – past, present and future–we can differentiate periods of time from points of time. For example, the 1980s gave us a period of rapid economic growth; Black Monday was a point of sudden financial catastrophe.
How can this brief analysis help the international manager? Firstly, there is the link between past, present and future. In other words, historical performance should be a guide to the future, and the present ought to represent last year’s forecast. So change–that which normally differentiates any two periods on our continuum–can be seen as a gradual evolution rather than a dramatic revolution.
Secondly, the use of a time-planning system, on which key points and periods are plotted, enables managers to organize their activities so that bottlenecks can be avoided and deadlines can be met. So stress, where the jobs to be done exceed the available time, can be reduced to an acceptable and productive level.
(a) Tick the right choice:
Time management was one of the major issues
(a) in the beginning of the twentieth century
(b) in the latter part of the twentieth century
(c) in the twentieth century
- Write short notes on the following:
(ii) Difference between a Portfolio and a Resume
- Write a letter of complaint against a TV company which has delivered a defective TV to your home. State what is wrong with the TV and what you expect the company to do to rectify the problem.
- You are looking for a job and your prospective employer asked you to prepare a presentation on any one of the following. You may use visual aids to support your presentation.
(ii) The history of your company
- A benefactor has given a sum of money to your college. One condition of the gift is that both students and staff must be involved in deciding how the money is to be used. A further condition is that the money must be spent on permanent and tangible things. You have been asked by the Principal of the college to survey the views of staff and students and to present him/her with an information report. Write a report in about 250 words.
- Complete the text, using a/an, the.
Sunita and Lalita are looking for . ………..new house in…………. town where they live. They like ………….house they’re living in, but ……….rooms are too small, and its difficult to find ………….parking-place. ………….street is noisy too. Sunita wants. bigger house away from the city-centre. They both want ………….house in ………….quiet part of ………….town.
- Complete the dialogue, using appropriate prepositions:
A: ‘When did you get home?’
B: ‘We got .
the plane at five o’clock and arrived home ………..six o’clock.’
A: Did you come …………bus …………the airport?
B: No, we got ………..the first taxi that we saw.
- Rewrite the following sentences in reported speech:
(i) Mohan said, “I can’t understand English.”
(ii) She said, “I will come to your house in the evening.”
(iii) Neha said, “I have bought a new dress.”
(iv) He said, “My family is going to Bangalore tomorrow.”
(v) The teacher said, “Please turn to page 22 in your English textbook.”
- Write questions for the answers given below. Use the question words in the brackets:
(i) He works for the Perfect Health Magazine. (Which)
(ii) He lives in Chennai. (Where?)
(iii) He goes out of town three to four times a month. (How often?)
(iv) Jaideep Chauhan often meets important doctors. (Who?)
(v) He writes about preventive health. (What?)